General Role Description
The Senior Designer is accountable for enthusiastically “raising the bar” for all project design related initiatives in the firm. This will include a thorough understanding of how Maxson currently executes project design and then embracing change through exploration and experimentation regarding what project design can be. This person will ensure the firm provides creative solutions for our clients and their projects. This role collaborates with the Design Manager to mentor the Designers in the firm to ensure we continue to excel at a very high level of project design. The Senior Designer works closely with project teams and clients to ensure that the client’s expectations are not only met but exceeded while helping to ensure profitable projects. This role will spend the appropriate amount of time working with Business Development to improve and expand relationships with our key clients. This position reports to a Department Manager.
Maxson Engineering is a Littleton, Colorado based full-service Mechanical and Electrical Engineering firm. We are especially proud of our company culture which is driven by our core values; being positive, proactive, innovative and accountable. These values drive our culture and priorities while providing a framework in which all decisions are made. The core values are the foundation on which the company is built. Maxson Engineering was founded on the principles of engineering excellence and a commitment to quality client care. We pride ourselves on focusing on our clients’ needs and developing balanced and workable solutions to help our clients achieve their goals. The company has extensive experience designing complex mechanical and electrical systems for challenging projects.
Based upon multiple factors, including but not limited to level of experience, skills, qualifications, and credentials, the pay range for this position is expected to be: $80,000 to $117,000
- Possess a profound sense of responsibility for the overall success of the firm
- Preserve an environment that encourages client satisfaction and recurring business opportunities
- Oversee drawing production and quality on a project-by-project basis
- Provide input for continuous improvement of design processes
- Continue to develop design and drafting skills
- Ensure application of design standards in all current platforms (including AutoCAD and Revit)
- Drive continuous improvement, implement and enforce policies and procedures of the organization by way of systems that will improve the overall operation and effectiveness of the organization
- Develop AutoCAD and Revit drafting and design tools and maintain system infrastructure.
- Work with the Leadership Team to recruit, interview, hire and on-board design staff
- Work with Project Managers on assigned design and drafting tasks
- Work with Project Engineers to execute design tasks
- Ensure design complies with internal design standards
- Assure that the organization is consistently presented in a strong, positive image to relevant stakeholders
- Comprehensive understanding of International Plumbing Code and related building codes and standards
- Proficient in MS Office
- Minimum 10 years’ experience with plumbing system design (domestic, sanitary, storm)
- Ability to travel occasionally
- Experience and proficiency with Autodesk Revit and AutoCAD
- Certified Plumbing Design (CPD)
- Associates degree in Engineering Technology/CAD or equivalent experience – preferred
- Licensed Professional Engineer in the State of Colorado (or ability for reciprocity) – preferred but not required
The work performed with this position will be primarily in a heated/cooled office environment. The job will also involve occasional trips for various business purposes. The equipment this employee is expected to operate include a computer, copier/scanner, phone, plotter, field survey tablet and various other field survey equipment. Lifting requirements are minimal (less than 1% of time) and typically does not exceed 30 pounds.
Maxson Engineering offers a comprehensive benefit package including:
- Major medical with vision and dental plan 100% paid for employee
- 401K plan with company contribution
- Health savings account
- Short and long term disability and life insurance plan 100% paid for employee
- PTO (holidays, vacation and sick)
- Flex time, 9 hours days Monday through Thursday and half days on Friday.
- Eligible for year-end profit sharing
This description is not intended, and should not be construed, to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The responsibilities, skills, efforts, working conditions and any other aspect of the position may change at any time at the sole discretion of Maxson Engineering, depending upon the needs of the enterprise.
Date job description was written or last reviewed: April 7, 2022